As we spend around a third of our day working, this environment should be comfortable, safe, and healthy for us to carry on with our jobs. For sure, we want to accomplish a mentally healthy workplace for our workers and ourselves, but how can we achieve this?
Well, let’s look at the top 3 resources to have in place for a happy workplace.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- An employee with personal and or work-related issues that may impact their performance will benefit from this program as it drives improved capabilities as the employees have fewer psychosocial stressors to negatively impact their focus, mood, and decision
- Supporting employees, EAP creates the opportunity to identify deterioration before a crisis point which results in reduced absenteeism
- Reduces time spent by managers to discuss psychological issues as managers aren’t expected to be counsellors or a psychologist, having this program removes the need for impromptu counselling from managers
- Higher loyalty to the company is achievable as the employees feel supported and engage with mentally healthy workplaces
- For employees, training provides an understanding of mental health conditions and awareness of potential situations with their colleagues
- Prevents crisis as each employee will be able to identify when they are deteriorating and have the knowledge of how to manage it
- Reduces the stigma of mental health amongst the employees which encourages support and uptake of help services
- Gives management confidence on how to help those who are struggling with their mental health
- Provides practical tools and skills that can be used across the business
- It’s best to schedule training and education awareness each quarter
- For establishing a mentally healthy workplace, policies on how to manage mental health incidents are essential as the policy states how an employee can be supported
- This document sets the expectations on the risks associated with mental health and how the business will act to manage these
- If the policy is not in place it can result in poor execution of the mental health crisis when an incident occurs in the workplace
With these top 3 resources implemented into your business, you’re on your way to having a good workplace environment for your employees with mental health support at the helm.
If you already have these resources in place, are they working successfully? If not, there’s always time to review the processes to achieve the ultimate workplace environment for all. If you need some guidance in Mental Health and EAP support, contact us, we are here to help!